A minimum of ninety semester credits beyond the baccalaureate degree must be earned in the Ph.D. program. The thirty credit dissertation registration requirement is fulfilled by registering for the courses ME 9991, 9992, 9993, and 9994 (Doctoral Dissertation Research and Direction I, II, III, and IV, respectively), in consecutive academic year semesters. In addition, at least half of all course work credit exclusive of dissertation credits must be earned in the Mechanical Engineering Department. All course work must be completed in accordance with the regulations of the Graduate School and the College governing graduate scholarship and degrees; see sections beginning under Academic Regulations, Graduate and Academic Regulations for the College of Engineering, respectively. A list of approved courses in each of the three thrust areas can be found in the Curriculum Map of the ME Graduate Programs listed on the Department home page.
Any Ph.D. student/candidate remaining without a Ph.D. advisor for over one year will be excluded from the program.
Requirements for all Ph.D. Students
1. Preliminary Qualifying Examination: This is a three-part written examination administered twice per year by the ME Graduate Program Committee during the third week of both September and January. All Ph.D. applicants must pass this examination within their first year after joining the Ph.D. program. Students must fill out the "PQE Registration Form" that can be downloaded from the ME website and submit it to the ME Graduate Program Director or at the ME front desk no later than one week prior to the exam date.
2. Final Qualifying Examination: This examination consists of written and oral parts covering the student's major and minor areas and other related fields. The student is expected to take this examination before registering for ME 9991.
3. An approved Plan of Work should be filed with the Office for Graduate Studies. see Ph.D. Plan of Work.
4. A Doctoral Dissertation Outline, approved by all members of the Doctoral Committee and the Departmental Graduate Program Committee should be filed by the student immediately after completing the oral part of the Final Qualifying Examination.
5. The Conflict of Interest form must be turned in twice, once with the Prospectus and again with the pre-defense paperwork (Final Report Form).
6. The Safe Assign form must be turned in three weeks prior to the Dissertation Defense.