Admission to this program is contingent upon satisfying the following requirements:
1) Graduate School requirements, which are listed at https://wayne.edu/admissions/graduate/admission-requirements/
2) Departmental requirements:
- Students with a minimum overall GPA of 3.5/4.0 in their MSME program may be recommended for regular admission.
- All applicants must have a full-time ME faculty member agreeing to serve as dissertation advisor before they can be admitted into the Ph.D. program.
- All students must have an MS in Mechanical Engineering or a very similar field. Applicants without an MS Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Students with an undergraduate GPA of 3.5/4.0 or better may apply for direct admission to the Ph.D. program. Students with an undergraduate GPA less than 3.5/4.0 must complete a master's degree in mechanical engineering prior to consideration for admission to the Ph.D. program.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are recommended, but not required.
- International applicants are required to submit a WES Evaluation for their transcripts. Note that the official transcript evaluation must be transmitted directly from WES to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- All students who have earned degrees from a country where English is not the native language must have a minimum TOEFL score of 79 from internet-based TOEFL (iBT) or 550 from a paper-based TOEFL (pBT), an IELTS score of 6.5, or an overall Duolingo score of 125.
- All applicants must pay the $50 Application Fee.
Please note: your application will not be assessed until all necessary items are submitted via our online application at gradapply.wayne.edu. For questions about your application, please contact a Graduate Program Coordinator.
For admission and full funding consideration, please have your application completed by March 1st. Most decisions will be released by April 1st.